March 31, 2005

Thursday evening post

Curse blogger and the high horse it road in on. Although I only wrote two short paragraphs, the accidental refresh button has once again confiscated my material for the evening. That’s all right, it was a pretty sub par effort from a tired guy.

Things here go well. My wife just asked if I’m writing for my “blog” with a long pronunciation on the “o”. Cute. Right now, we are watching the Ethiopian news. Despite a withdrawal at two weeks after the satellite went down, I’m now doing much better. I think, on balance, I’m probably about 85% better off without the likes of Boston Legal, Friends reruns (that show is so overrated), and whatever other junk I managed to find myself interested in. Speaking of Friends, I used to have a real problem with David Schwimmer, thinking he was the most annoying character I’d ever seen on television. It took my wife’s convincing to realize that he was one of the better parts of the show, even better than Chandler and obviously much better than the three ladies. The jury is still out on Joey.

My consultancy entered its third day today and has proven very interesting and challenging. It allows me to use some of my creative writing energies, which is a bonus. I’m actually doing fairly well sitting at a computer all day trying to figure out the logic of the messages I’m trying to convey as well as the wording that will allow me to convey it most effectively. My uncle and other writers I’ve met have equated writing to solving a puzzle. I can see that.

While the consultancy is good, the commute leaves something to be desired. I constantly think to myself just how bad traffic will be in only a few years if it’s as bad as it is right now. I have two major stoppage points on the way to my current work. The first comes at the exit from the ring road where it meets the service road near my house. That can get really blocked up, though it seems to start moving at around 8:00. If I leave the house late enough, I can catch a smooth passage at the exit.

The problem is, it seems that the traffic that was blocking the exit has simply moved on up Bole Road, the second place I encounter blockages. One problem here is the narrowness of the roads, but we all know the real problem – too many cars. I subscribe to the school of thought that says the more roads you build, the more cars there are to fill the roads. I’m a firm believer in this theory of road congestion and I can only imagine how bad things will be here in a few years. Time to get myself ready for telecommuting or, better yet, working from the comfort of my casa.

What else is happening? My wife had a terrible bout with a flu. She’s feeling better now. Fortunately, I’ve managed to avoid it so far. I give credit to a nasal inhaler that my father swore by when we were kids. Every morning on the way to work, he’d take one or two puffs off the benzadrine inhaler (is benzadrine a medicine or a type of fuel – I’m not sure). Anyway, he always seemed to avoid upper respiratory colds so I’ve decided to give it a shot. So far, so good. It does feel a bit weird shoving the thing up your nose and breathing deeply, but I’ll get past that if it means I remain healthy.

What else? The elections are coming up here. There are apparently a lot of political ads on TV right now, but they are in Amharic and, in any case, Ethiopian TV is somewhat mind-numbing for me, so I don’t really know. Apparently, everyone is expecting a landslide by the ruling party and, although some people grouse a bit, I think most people think this is the best alternative. I don’t really have much of an opinion which is probably good for me.

In other news, apparently the Israeli Ambassador to Ethiopia tried to take his life in his hotel last night. There was a front page article in one of the dailies this morning. The article seemed to be deliberately circumspect, as did the individuals quoted. All that anyone seemed to be willing to say was that it didn’t look like an act of terrorism. There are strange things surrounding the happenings. One, why was he staying in a hotel instead of the huge residence provided for the Ambassador. I know there was a second intriguing factor, but I can’t think of it right now. I’ll provide more details if they develop, but I doubt they will.

3 Comments:

Blogger melloman said...

Kenneth D GREAT title Thursday evening post. I am actually looking for Rocking horse related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other Rocking horse related blogs. Thank you.

5:46 PM  
Blogger melloman said...

Kenneth D GREAT title Thursday evening post. I am actually looking for jewelery related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other jewelery related blogs. Thank you.

8:29 PM  
Blogger melloman said...

Hey Kenneth D GREAT title Thursday evening post. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home