January 20, 2006

Music videos and a bit about EPSON

Good morning Addis Ababa. Or, for you Simpsons lovers, "Good morning world!" shouts an excited Bart as he wakes up in "Bart the Murderer", season 3 episode 9 (or something close to that).

What a long intro, partially distracted bya mobile phone call which made it feel all that much longer. Well, it's a beautiful cloudy, cool day in Addis Ababa, soon to turn into a hot, sunny, dusty day, I'm sure.

Got a question for all the folks familiar with the local culture - that would be you, Habesha. What is the deal with people running up on to the stage while a singer is performing and trying to kiss him or her. I've seen variations on this as well, like slipping a bill into the breast pocket or inside the shirt or the hair, which makes a little more sense to me, but the original mystery remains unexplained. I am left to speculate that this is one of the Ethiopian versions of "cow tipping" or "ghost knocking". Stunts for young people, though I have seen older folks involved.

I also find it interesting that the evening news is almost always followed by footage of outdoor concerts (basically music videos). Not that I'm criticizing - I'm known to enjoy the music after each news hour (Tigrinya, Oromiffa, and Amharic) on occassion, actually often times much more than the actual news, but I guess it is something I'm not aware of in my culture. Imagine Peter Jennings, God rest his Soul, being followed up by 50 Cent live in Central Park. Or better yet, Tom Brokaw, God rest his retired Soul, being followed by Shania Twain. It could happen I suppose, but then it might diminish the already diminshed credibility of the news they were offering. It would be like back to back entertainment shows rather than real news. Wait a minute...

I've got five more minutes before I have to bust out the door and begin the next phase of my official duties. The five minute drill. Ordered some printer cartridges yesterday. Should be here in a few weeks. What a deal. I'm going to put it out to the world right now. Never, ever buy a stupid Epson Stylus CX6400 or any other printer that won't allow you to use the other functions of the printer if even one of the cartridges is out of ink. You can't even print in black and white if your Cyan has gone draw. Or your Magenta. Or Puce.

Biggest scandal this side of Access Hollywood. I mean, come on. I've got one of those 3 in 1, printer, scanner, copier. For the love of the Almighty, not even the scanner works when the cartridges are out. Does that make any sense.

Less of a problem, but still annoying is how, when one of your cartridges goes dry, they try to direct you into the direction of purchasing one of the company's own genuine, top of the line, does exactly the same thing as the generic only costs three times as much, cartridges. Epson, you heard it from me. I am going to use my purchasing power and this electronic soap box to get you to reform your ways. You have been notified.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home