February 14, 2005

Monday morning, go time

Good morning readers! I know there are more of you now than just my parents, my uncle, and my cousin. We had confirmation this morning via email that the Rocking Fun Zone's readership has spread to the mother of one of my good friends - viral marketing (see previous posts).

Well, I had a deep, but briefly interrupted sleep last night. But first, the weather. We've got a beautiful sunny day - 100% blue skies from where I'm sitting. Little bit of wind, too. That's nice actually - means the air should be clear for the whole day.

Back to my sleep. Why deep, but interrupted you might ask? Well, deep because I was really tired and no amount of worry was going to keep me up for very long. However, I did wake up in the middle of the night and began thinking about the wood we are going to use in one of our products. Specifically, I don't know how we are going to get plywood with waterproof paper to cover both sides. This kind of wood, essential for our product, is easily available in the U.S. It's used in construction sites, often for concrete moulds. The paper prevents the concrete from really sticking to the wood, allowing the wood to be used over and over again.

Unfortunately, here in Ethiopia, I haven't seen any and importing it may be a major pain in the wazzu. I get the impression that importing here, unless the good is air cargo, requires the use of a full container. It would seem that somebody would be organizing containers for people who require only part of a container, but I don't know if that's the case. I haven't come across that yet. Anyway, that's the dilemma I'm up against. I'd originally thought to import the paper and then glue it ourselves to the wood, as plywood is fairly available here. The problem is 1) finding the paper and 2) adhering it to the wood. I'm particularly concerned about trying to cover the whole plywood sheet at one time and getting the paper to be smooth. Probably better just to cut the paper to match the final shape of the wood and then leave it at that.

So anyway, that gave me a little bit of concern during my sleep and the wee hours of the morning here, but I'm over it. This blog is like therapy.

Oh, I wanted to ask some input regarding lifelong fitness. I'm really starting to question whether I've passed some kind of age hump where I'm no longer able to work out like I used to. Certainly, I can't go back to the old swimming days of super fitness, but now every time I exercise, the body really gives it to the days after. Granted, I like to try to go hard and maybe that's the problem. Am I going to have to back off, stretch more, cool down more? At this point, I'm thinking I'd rather preserve my knees and back for the long haul than be in great shape today. I'm sure that's wise, but then how do I get a good workout that won't cost me down the road? What kind of heartrate should I be aiming for? I read those stupid charts on the exercise machines indicating the range you want to be in, then ignore them, but maybe I should be paying attention. Is the Rocking Fun Zone over the hill?

By the way, the answer to last week's trivia question, "Which Seattle newspaper columnist does the Rocking Fun Zone most emulate?", is..."Jim Moore" or "The Go2Guy". I think that guy is hilarious, completely irreverant and shamelessly biased. So, props to Jim Moore, the best Seattle newspaper columnist (except for maybe Art Thiel and, of course, David Horsey [but he's not really a columnist]).

Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home