February 15, 2006

A good night out on the town

I'd recommend the following itinerary for a nice night out in Addis:

Start with beers at Makush Art Gallery. Enjoy some fine and not so fine Ethiopian modern art (there's a real mix - I always get tempted by the prospect of buying original pieces of art, thinking they might be exceptionally valuable some day, but don't trust my art instincts enough to make that call). Anyway, enjoy the relaxed, quiet atmosphere of Makush and then head next door to Sangam for some seriously delicious Indian grub. I'm a big fan of the buttered chicken massala and a new favorite, Navratham Korma. Both excellent.

By the time you finish Sangam, you should be bloated and ready to head home. If, on the off chance you have been fasting for a few days, you might want to finish it all off with some ice cream at Kaldi's if you are heading east and Bilos if heading west.

You should be able to pull all this off for less than $25, a good night out on the town by any standards.

In other, completely polar opposite news, my Vice President shot his hunting buddy while they were out scaring up quail (a kind of bird) on a private ranch in Texas. I really don't know what to make of this, but I was kind of shocked when I learned that the Vice President of the United States, one of the most powerful men in the world (in Dick Cheney's case, maybe the most powerful man), actually shot another person. Very strange.

Enjoy your day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home